Tyke The Elephant Escaped from Circus After 12 Years of Torture Police Shot Him Down 86 times - Infire Tech & Trends - Technology, Entertainment, Arts and Crafts by Infire Media

Post Top Ad

Tyke The Elephant Escaped from Circus After 12 Years of Torture Police Shot Him Down 86 times

Tyke The Elephant Escaped from Circus After 12 Years of Torture Police Shot Him Down 86 times

Share This
After 12 years of torture in a circus in Hawaii, this poor elephant called Tyke managed to escape injuring staff on its way out, Police then shot him 86 times which eventually killed him. The look on its eyes tells a thousand stories.

Tyke (1974 – August 20, 1994) was an African elephant who performed with Circus International of Honolulu, Hawaii. On August 20, 1994, during a performance at the Neal Blaisdell Center, she killed her trainer, Allen Campbell, and injured her groomer, Dallas Beckwith. Tyke then bolted from the arena and ran through the streets of the Kakaako central business district for more than thirty minutes. Police fired 86 shots at the animal, who eventually collapsed from the wounds and died. While the majority of the attack in the arena was recorded on consumer videotape by several spectators, additional, professional video footage captured the attack on local publicist Steve Hirano and the shooting of Tyke herself (both of which took place outside of the building).

On April 21, 1993, Tyke escaped through the front doors of the Altoona, Pennsylvania Jaffa Shrine Center during a performance, remaining untethered for an hour. The rampage caused more than $14,000 in damage. An affidavit obtained from a circus worker by the USDA the following day stated that Tyke had also attacked a tiger trainer, while the circus was in Altoona.

On August 20, 1994, during a performance at Circus International in Honolulu, Hawaii, Tyke trampled her groomer, Dallas Beckwith, before killing her trainer, Allen Campbell, who attempted to save Beckwith from the attack. She then charged out of the arena and onto the streets outside. She additionally attacked publicist Steve Hirano, who tried to stop her from escaping from the circus' parking lot. After a half-hour of chasing Tyke down, local police officers fired 86 shots at the 8,000 pounds (3,600 kg) elephant. Tyke finally collapsed from the wounds and died.

Following the Hawaii accident of August 20, 1994, Tyke became symbolic of circus tragedies and a symbol for animal rights. In the aftermath, lawsuits were filed against the City of Honolulu, the State of Hawaii, the circus, and Tyke's owner, John Cuneo, Jr. and his Hawthorn Corp. Honolulu lawyer William Fenton Sink sued Cuneo on behalf of numerous plaintiffs, including young children, who suffered psychological injuries after witnessing Tyke's killing. While the lawsuits were settled out of court, the details of the monetary decision was kept sealed from publication. In honor of Sink's work in the Tyke case, Animal Rights Hawaii renamed its "Order of the Innocent Award", The William Fenton Sink Award for Defense of Animals.

Allen Campbell's autopsy revealed that he had cocaine and alcohol in his system at the time of his death. Officials at the Denver Zoo confirmed that there were complaints of animal abuse filed against Campbell during the late 1980s, when he operated an elephant and camel ride concession in the city.

The Tyke incident inspired legislation on local levels in Hawaii and abroad, while California Congressman Sam Farr introduced legislation (HR2323) into the House of Representatives in 1999 and again in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad